Annual Physical Exam & Vaccinations at Summerside Vet Hospital
The veterinarians at Summerside Veterinary Hospital, in Edmonton, recommend that every pet have a physical examination annually to ensure overall health; in order to help to prevent serious health problems, these exams should take place more often if your pet is suffering from disease/illness or is considered geriatric (a senior pet).
Just as in human medicine, prevention is the key to a happy and healthy lifestyle in veterinary medicine. A comprehensive examination is vital to the detection of a variety of health problems and can be crucial during an emergency or sudden illness; all the information gathered after each exam becomes an essential part of your pet’s medical history and can offer a great help during times of distress by allowing us to see how your animal has changed.
An annual physical exam ensures the health and wellness of your pet. Book an appointment today!
As part of the annual exam, we:
- Check for significant gains or losses in weight
- Evaluate your pet’s legs, joints and spine
- Check the hair and coat
- Touch/check the abdomen for abnormal masses or pain
- Assess the heartbeat (for pulse rate and murmurs), and lung sounds
- Examine the eyes for cataracts, glaucoma or inflammation
- Check the ears for any signs of infection or ear mites
- Assess nasal passages for the potential signs of upper respiratory disease
- Check teeth and mouth for periodontal disease
- Examine lymph nodes to check for tumors.
The veterinarians at Summerside Vet Hospital, in Edmonton, additionally, recommend annual blood work to check for organ disease and fecal testing for internal parasites.
The Importance of Vaccines:
Proper vaccination are one of the most important steps for maintaining the health and wellness of your pet. They help prevent a number of dangerous and infectious diseases this is done by stimulating the body’s immune system to produce antibodies in order to fight against the virus/bacteria. This response is then remembered therefore properly vaccination your pet prepared them to react to future infections; the remembered reaction will either prevent the disease or reduce its impact and promote a speedy recovery.
Vaccination for Dogs
- Annual Vaccines for adult dogs include :
- Distemper, Para Influenza, Hepatitis & Parvovirus
Vaccination for Cats
- Annual Vaccines for adult cats include:
- Feline Rhinotracheitis, calici-panleukopenia, chlamydia, psittaci
- Feline Leukemia.
At Summerside Vet Hospital, in Edmonton, a physical examination is done, prior to vaccines to look for the existence of any infection or disease. During this exam, our veterinarians will also discuss your pet’s medical history and lifestyle with you to ensure the best vaccine protocol is being followed.
Call us today to schedule an appointment with our vets at Summerside Veterinary Hospital.