Is Your Dog Overweight? Check out for possible reasons.
A recent survey reveals that over-weighted pets are less active compared to healthy ones. Obesity is one of the common issue faced by every 1 in 3 pet dogs. The obvious reason behind overweight is overfeeding. People generally believe that they are showering love over their dogs by offering them big meals at frequent time intervals. But in reality, they are actually putting their loved companions at a higher risk for diseases and ailments.
What Causes Obesity in Pets?
Alike humans, obesity or overweight is a common problem in pets, especially cats and dogs. An over-weighted pet is likely to suffer from problems like decreased immunity, laziness, body stress, psychological stress, diabetes, liver ailments and joint pains.
The condition of obesity arises when the intake of calories increase than the actual needed amount. Since pets are innocent animals, they’ll certainly eat whatsoever is given to them. The person responsible for their obese condition is their owner itself. Specific dog breeds like Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Pugs, St. Bernard etc. are more susceptible to fall victim to this ill health risk.
How to Manage Obesity in Dogs?
To make your pet feel active and light, its important to help him reduce the extra fluffiness and padding. Some ways to ensure that your pet has the right weight are:
- Choose a healthy diet plan: The common reason behind overweight is consumption of more calories than needed. Once you adopt a dog, consult your local veteran about the suitable foods and quantity to be served to a specific dog breed. Know about the calorific requirements of your companion to design a healthy diet plan.
- Increase regular exercise: An effective method to lose weight in the matter of few months can be attained by indulging your dog into regular physical activities and exercises. In addition, by taking your pet for long walks and playing for hours can allow him to become both active and healthy, along with losing weight.
How to Help Your Pet Lose Weight?
- Keep him away from the family space when you are eating your meals.
- Try to feed your pet several times a day with small and healthy foods.
- Reduce the intake of fast food, snacks, and treats as much as possible.
These are some reasons why pets face obesity issues along with preventive measures and control solution. Is your pet feeling lazy and seems to be ill, don’t ignore his condition and take him to the reputed Summerside Vet Hospital for a physical examination.